Pages

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Cake - Showroom of Compassion (Upbeat Records)

When I heard that Cake were finally releasing a new album I got all excited and with tunes like "The Distance" and "Short Skirt Long Jacket" never going too far form my ipod, it can be safely said that I'm a fan.

It's been 6 years since the Californian hipsters released Pressure Chief and the first thing you'll notice is that it sounds like Cake. This band has a very distinct sound, bright bass, twangy guitars and John McCrea's immediately recognisable bass voice. Initially I was a little disappointed by this. After such a long wait I was expecting something... momentous.

After a few tracks had past however I began to settle. Cake really is a band's band. McMrea's great song writing and story telling, combined with strong hooks, great melodies and some very ambitious instrumentals make this an album that I will probably keep going back for over the next few weeks.

Highlights include "Italian Guy" and the single "Sick of You". Showroom of compassion was release on 11 Jan 2011.

No comments: